People have made food tastier by adding and/or increasing things
such as MSG, fats, sugars, and salt. As a result, nerves
have adapted to this higher level of stimulation so that natural
food often seems bland and offer little pleasure. Readaptation
to natural foods can take up to 3 months. It can also be
accomplished by a week-long water fast.
Hygiene diet guidelines from Gerald Benesh, D.C:
- Eat only when hungry.
- It is best not to eat between meals or at bedtime.
- Do not drink water with meals. Drink water 15 minutes
before meals or two hours after a meal.
- Eat moderately and chew your food well. Use no condiments,
salt or spices or alcoholic drinks. That includes coffee
- Do not eat when tired or emotionally upset. REST and
wait until you have recovered from either state.
- Do not eat immediately before or after intense physical or
- Eat only natural, live, unprocessed foods.
- Fresh air and exercise are part of a nutritional program.
Get your daily quota. Positively NO SMOKING.
- Try to rest after each meal, if at all possible.
- Strive for physical, mental and emotional balance.
General dietary instructions from Dr. Benesh:
- With fresh fruit salad (a lunch or dinner) have dark green
leafy lettuce, celery, and sprouts.
- A little olive oil or sunflower seed oil may be
used as a dressing. A few drops of lemon, lime, orange
or grapefruit juice may be added. [Use no other salad dressing.]
- Use sweet butter or sunflower oil on the steamed vegetables,
- All nuts and nut butters should be unroasted, RAW and
Information picked from Dr. Benesh's recommendations and specific
- Jump on a trampoline once or twice daily to help lymph flow.
- Breakfast is fruit, preferably apples.
- Have lots of salad and include plenty of lettuce
(not iceberg) and sprouts.
- All vegetables are fresh or steamed.
- No starches except brown rice, corn,
potato, and sweet potato; and only one per day.
- "Fast" one day per week
on juice or watermelon. (Watermelon is a better cleanser.)
- Have 8oz. juice before every meal, if possible;
otherwise, have about 10oz. at breakfast and dinner. "Juice"
varies with the diet, but it is always fresh. Common
are carrot-celery and apple-celery. Wait about 10-15 minutes
before eating meal.
- Nuts are eaten at the end of a smaller meal
(breakfast or salad). Wait 10-15 minutes after meal. Recommended
amount varies from 3 to 5 oz.