Math 155 - Computer Graphics
U.C. San Diego - Spring 2001
Instructor: Sam Buss, Professor, Mathematics and Computer Science
Course Organization. Syllabus,
meeting times, computer labs, lab and office hours, textbook, etc.
Finals week schedule is here.
Section will meet at 5:45 on Thursdays.
Bulletin Board. A Math155 webboard has been set up for discussion of issues related to assignments and any other aspects of computer graphics. You should be able to login with your course userid and with your student ID as password. If you have trouble getting logged in at first, try the UCSD webboard home page.
Midterm. Friday, May 11. List of topics. Problem review session, Wednesday evening, 7:00pm., in APM 7421.
Final. Monday, June 11, 11:30-2:30.
1. How to login and use the computer lab.
2. Compiling and running programs. Introduction to the Solar demo.
3. Modelview demo program. Demos the use of model view transformations in OpenGL.
4. How to create a new C/C++ program.
5. OLD Midterm topics (outline). Midterm was Wednesday, February 21, regular lecture time.
6. Using textures in OpenGL. Two sample programs are available, along with code for loading textures from .bmp files.
7. OLD Winter quarter final exam topics (outline). Final Exam was Saturday, March 24, 11:30-2:30
8. Tutorial introduction to 3D Studio Max.
9. Getting started with the ray trace software. New Bezier patch code now available - requires change to new version of the software.
10. Midterm topics. Spring Quarter. Friday, May 11.
11. Ray tracing sample images. These were images used for debugging during software development. New: Now includes Bézier patches!
12. Final exam topics. Spring quarter, Monday 11:30.
Programming assignments and other computer assignents.
1. Assignment #1B. (Due Tuesday, April 17.) Build a coffee pot or an urn using Bezier patches.
2. Assignment #2B. Learn the rudiments of 3D Studio Max on your own.
3. Assignment #3B. (Due Tuesday, May 1.) Draw Catmull Rom and Overhauser interpolating splines.
4. Assignment #4B. (Due Friday, May 18.) Implement distributed ray tracing or backwards ray tracing.
5. Assignment #5B. (Due date Wednesday, June 13, 1:00PM). Final project.
Written Homework Assignments.
1. Bezier curves/B-splines. Due in class, Wednesday, April 18. Available in Postscript and PDF.
2. Catmull-Rom and Overhauser splines. RGB to HSL., due Wednesday, May 2. Handwritten assignment given in class, see also HTML version.
3. Quaternion assignment. Handwritten assignment given out in class. Due Friday, June 8.
General resources for graphics.