Mathematics PhD Student Recognized as Integrity Champion
Congratulations to PhD student Gregory Patchell for being named one of two Integrity Champions for 2023 by the Research Ethics Program and Academic Integrity Office. One of the Math department's two Senior TAs, who lead in the training and observation of new Teaching Assistants, Greg is being honored for his volunteer work on academic integrity. The Integrity Awards celebration will take place April 19th at 5:30pm. More information can be found here.
March 30, 2023
Emina Solijanin - Jack Keil Wolf Lecture - November 14, 2022
CMRR cordially invites you to Jack Keil Wolf Lecture on Monday, November 14, 2022.
The Lecture will be held at Jack Keil Wolf Auditorium in CMRR bldg. at 2:00 PM (with a reception to follow). The invited speaker is Emina Soljanin, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Rutgers. "On Some Quantum Internet Information Rates."
November 7, 2022
PhD Student Awarded First Prize in the Great Math Challenges in Biology Contest
Ph.D. student Harish Kannan and a teammate won the first prize in the Great Math Challenges in Biology Contest conducted by the NSF-Simons Center for Quantitative Biology at Northwestern University. Congratulations!
September 6, 2022
282 Comprehensive Exam - September 15th
July 14, 2022
Fall 2022 Qualifying Exams - August 29 - September 9
Fall 2022 Qualifying Exams
- Registration is closed. Please email email@example.com to register.
- Exam dates August 29th - September 9th
- Exams will be in person
August 30 - STATISTICS (1 - 4 PM PDT)
August 31 - COMPLEX (1 - 4 PM PDT)
September 1 - TOPOLOGY (1 - 4 PM PDT)
September 2 - APPLIED ALGEBRA (1 - 4 PM PDT)
September 6 - REAL ANALYSIS (1 - 4 PM PDT)
September 7 - NUMERICAL (9 AM - 12 PM PDT)
September 8 - ALGEBRA (1- 4 PM PDT)
July 5, 2022
2021-22 TA Awards
The Mathematics department is delighted to announce the recipients of the 2021-22 TA Awards --
- Tai-Hsuan Chung was praised as a devoted and enthusiastic instructor with a contagious love of mathematics.
- Thomas Grubb was noted as instrumental to the success of Math 157, developing much of the content, methodology and overall tenor of the course.
- Somak Maitra is a 'go-to' TA for entry level mathematics, where his students rave about his commitment to teaching and willingness to help
- Nicholas Sieger was singled out for his clear passion for teaching and his willingness to always 'do more' to help in the running of his courses
- Ji Zeng was commended as being professional, helpful and knowledgeable - with students finding him a more valuable resource than the textbook
Please join us in celebrating this year's awardees!
June 3, 2022
PhD Student Honored as GPSA Community Award Recipient
Congratulations to PhD student Eva Loeser - recipient of the 2021-22 GPSA Community Award for Peer Mentorship. This award honors a graduate student at UC San Diego who has proven to be an excellent source of advice and wisdom for their colleagues in graduate school. Eva has shown a strong dedication and ability to advise her fellow graduate students on issues related to academics as well as general life skills, and her efforts towards peer mentorship (particularly as part of the rebirth of the Association for Women in Mathematics) has significantly enhanced the graduate school experience of our students. Congratulations on the recognition Eva.
May 23, 2022