Congratulations to Zhouli Xu as a recent recipient of the Frontiers of Science Awards at the Inaugural International Congress of Basic Science (ICBS) Conference. Read more.
July 20, 2023
In addition, we will get to hear from SD2 (SD Squared) Co-Founder, H. Puentes! SD2 connects students to STEM opportunities providing access to education, mentorship, and the resources they need to succeed!
5 PM-6:30 PM PST
Natural Sciences Building - Auditorium
May 8, 2023
Extended Deadline: Sunday, May 7th at 11:59pm
If you are interested, please fill out the form: https://forms.gle/
May 2, 2023
- 12:00pm - Fred Rajasekaran (APM 6402)
- "Fluctuations of Eigenvalues and Concentration Inequalities for Patterned Random Matrices
- 1:00pm - Fuxiang Yang (APM 6402)
- "Invariant Theory and Group Coaction on Artin-Schelter Regular Algebra"
- 12:00pm - Mingcheng Sheng (APM 6402)
- Topic: Freiman Problems, Title TBD
- 1:00pm - Rohan Puthukudy (APM 6402)
- "Combinatorial Representation Theory"
- 10:00am - Xun Gong (APM 6402)
- "Monodromy of a Symmetric Surface"
- 10:00am - Winston Yu (via Zoom)
- "Power of Maximum Mean Discrepancy Tests using Generalized Anisotropic Kernels"
- 2:00pm - Andrew Paul (via Zoom)
- Title TBD
April 24, 2023
Two math faculty receive awards! Leesa Anzaldo and Ming Xiao selected by the Academic Senate Committee on Senate Awards to receive the 2023 Distinguished Teaching Award. Congratulations to you both! Read more about the award https://senate.ucsd.edu/Grants-Awards/Senate-Awards/distinguished-teaching-award
April 19, 2023
The Mathematics advising team will be presenting a series of in-person advising / information sessions this quarter:
"Major Advising" - Friday, April 14th at 10:00am
Learn about the different Undergraduate Math majors and their requirements.
"Reading Your Degree Audit" - Wednesday, May 3rd at 10:00am
Learn how to interpret your Degree Audit, and how running a Degree Audit will show your status in fulfilling Math major requirements.
"Double Majoring" - Friday, Math 19th at 10:00am
Learn tips and tricks on how to submit a successful Double Major Petition for prospective and current Math majors.
Please register at bit.ly/sp23groupplanning. All presentations will take place in AP&M 7321
April 5, 2023
Jane Street will be hosting an Estimathon on January 30th at 2pm in APM B402A.
The Estimathon is a mind-bending mixture of math and trivia. In teams, you'll attempt 13 Fermi problems in 30 minutes, ranging from totally trivial to positively Putnamesque. Be prepared to come up with the best set of confidence intervals! Sample problems include:
- How many stop signs are in New York City?
- How many babies were born in 1900?
- How many Social Security Numbers are prime?
Register here by January 26th @ 11:59pm PT. All participants will register as an individual and teams will be created on-site. We will confirm your attendance with the event location by January 27th.
January 13, 2023
If you have questions about Double Majoring with Math at UCSD, be sure to attend this Zoom session on Thursday, February 23rd at 11:00am. Learn some tips and tricks on how to submit a successful Double Major Petitions. Of interest to both current and potential Math majors.
To attend this Zoom session, please register at bit.ly/wi23groupplanning
January 8, 2023